Tuesday, October 12, 2010

As the Kids Say.... "OMFG, Epic, FTW" or as I Say - AWESOME.


That's right, after years of me talking about it, the X-Men Arcade Game (which was never ported to any home system) is going to be available as a download title.

This game's art style was based on the Byrne/Zeck/Cockrum-ness of the 1980s Pryde of the X-Men pilot. It was the first game ever (to my knowledge) to have a DOUBLE SCREEN, which meant that it was the videogame equivalent of a double-wide (in a good way), which enabled space for you and 5 OTHER FRIENDS to play the game all at once.

A lot of people might remember it for the bad voice acting/translation, but I remember it as being my favorite way to spend a roll of quarters. This had "80s/90s arcade/pizza place birthday party" written all over it. When you're 10, kicking the crap out of bad guys with 5 other dudes, and by the way - YOU'RE ALL X-MEN - that's seriously about the awesomest thing there is to do.

I was usually Colossus. Nightcrawler as a backup. Wolverine if I was lucky. (Because Storm and Dazzler were girls and Cyclops was Cyclops.)

This is one of those few rare games (like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out) that I can just play, beat, and want to play all over again.

Quite honestly, I'm thinking about taking whatever day this comes out off of work as a personal day. This is just really awesome news for me.

Link to the original article is below
http://destructoid.com/nycc-x-men-arcade-welcomes-you-to-die-on-psn-xbla-soon--186007.phtml

No comments: